Alzheimer's Disease is the most common type of dementia and is NOT a normal part of aging as some people believe. Caused by a build up on the brain causing damage to the Hippocampus which is central to day to day memory.
- Usually quite mild to start with and progressing over time
- Earliest symptom can be memory lapse causing difficulty recalling recent events and learning new information
- Potential language problems, struggling to follow a conversation or repeating themselves
- Potential Visuopatial skills, problems judging distance or seeing objects in 3D; navigating stairs or parking the car becomes much harder
- Potential difficulties making decisions, solving problems or carrying out a sequences of tasks (eg cooking a meal)
- Potential confusion or losing track of the day or date
- Potential changes in mood. People may become anxious, irritable or depressed. Becoming withdrawn and a loss of interest in activities and hobbies